Producing & Directing Television Entertainment
Application Deadline: 05 Jun 2014
Entertainment shows are at the centre of UK and global television schedules. Our students and graduates are already having an impact on the highest revenue generating part of television.
On this Television MA course, students learn to develop, script, produce and direct single camera and multi-camera entertainment programmes, using the School's own television studio or out on location. Students explore the entire programme cycle from early brainstorming of an idea through to transmission. The structure of the course follows the chronological shape of an entertainment television production. Injected into this, timeline will be specifically tailored modules taught by relevant television professionals. There is a huge amount of detail to fit in to two years so it is very hard work but - it is entertainment - so it should be fun!
Students graduate with:
- the skills to direct TV studio multi-camera and single camera •the know-how to produce single items or entire entertainment shows
- A practical working knowledge of current television production methods
- the ability to generate entertainment programme ideas
- the confidence and know-how to pitch those ideas to commissioning editors
The course is led by David G Croft (Shooting Stars, Baddiel's Syndrome, Live Aid, Top of The Pops & Crystal Maze). Other tutors who often teach at the school include Richard Boden (Blackadder Goes Forth, The IT Crowd), Geoff Posner (Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Concert, Dinner Ladies, Little Britain), Michael Grade - Lew Grade Chair in Television Production, Richard Greenwood (ITV Entertainment Executive), Amanda Murphy (Executive Producer: Supernanny), Ian Russell (Multi-Camera Director: Royal Wedding, London Olympics).
Our intensely practical and pioneering Television MA course curriculum aims to train the entertainment directors and producers of tomorrow. Students are taught by NFTS staff and visiting Industry professionals and have hands-on experience of a variety of production roles. Other crucial areas covered include how to pitch original programme ideas to broadcasters and how to set up an independent production company. Students also undertake a week-long module on business and legal affairs supervised by top Industry lawyers Lee & Thompson. Placements with leading production companies like Hat Trick, Objective and talkbackTHAMES or broadcasters like the BBC are an integral part of the course. By the time students graduate they have the craft, skill and confidence to produce and direct both in the studio and on location. They also have a thorough understanding of the television production process encompassing everything from the creative to the technical and the business aspects.
Unlike other schools, all production costs are met by the School. In addition you will be given a cash Production Budget. NFTS students are engaged in more productions as part of the curriculum than any of our competitors.
- The only Television MA course of its kind in the world
- Produce and direct entertainment programmes in our professional standard television studio
- Be taught by top Industry professionals
- Unlike other schools, all production costs are met by the School.
- Go on placements with BBC and ITV, and leading entertainment production companies like Hat Trick, Objective and talkbackTHAMES
- Take a fast track into the Industry